You are currently browsing the category archive for the ‘work in progress’ category.
I’m stitching away at one of my pieces for Stitch Fetish 4 this weekend. I have too many ideas this year, I think I’m making a bunch of pieces and then I’ll see what I accept from my own submissions. I hope you’re creating yours, or at least thinking about what to make. Only three and a half weeks to submit by Dec 15th. Can’t wait to see what you’re working on.
Here’s a sneak peak my current work in progress:
I deleted my Etsy account a few months ago… for a bunch of reasons. And as soon as I did, realized I probably should have left it up until I built a new store. But, the button had been pushed.
That’s what happens when you have fits of pique.
Meanwhile, I’ve received some very nice messages, via FB, my website, tumblr, asking prices of works and such, and really, I just needed to get off my ass and deal with it. So… it’s not completely done, I’ve more work to upload (or make the intern upload – I have an intern this summer!!!), but I built a new store! Yea me! It’s a Big Cartel store, and for the moment it’s fairly simple; maybe once I get more available art posted, I’ll play more with design.
So go check it out! I’ll be offering deals on stuff throughout the summer!
Here’s one now: Until the end of July, get 40% off all pillows (I know that’s all that’s there now, but not for long!), when you enter the code, EQUALITY!!!
So much good going on, and so crazy busy, and along with that comes change – which is terrifying and unknown and means more work – but it’s amazing and fantastic! So, I’ve closed my Etsy shop. I will be opening a Big Cartel Shop in the next month or so. Perhaps I should have left the Etsy up while I build the new one (I think now, typing), but, I didn’t, so… I think it will be a better fit in the end.
But have no fear, don’t wring your hands,
One of the things I did this year (and yeah, I know it’s cheesy, but it’s nice) was keep a “sweet moments” jar – whenever something good happened, I jotted it on a scrap of paper and threw it in a jar. Well, I just sat and finished my tea and looked through 2014’s “sweet moments,” and while yes, it was a difficult year, it also had many good moments in it, mostly art related. Here are some highlights, and some work I made in 2014. Happy New Year everybody, and welcome 2015!
In no particular order, things that were lovely and gave me joy in 2014:
- Art shows!! I was in a ton of shows last year and got to continue showing with galleries that have been supportive of me for years (Gallery1988 and the Hive) and also began showing with some fantastic, new-to-me galleries (Snap Orlando, Spoke, Craft in America). And it was super nice to end the year with a whole stack of shows lined up for this year!
- Getting into Craft forms 2014 and then getting an Award of Merit!
- I was a featured artist in February for the Down Town LA art walk!
- Press! for me and for Stitch Fetish! Lovely press, kind press.
- Having great friends who go out of their way for me, visit me, support me, and help me through some really rough times.
- The Heathers hankies! Made 30 custom embroidered hankies for the lead of “Heathers: The Musical” to give as cast gifts.
- RuPaul retweeted my portrait of her!
- The success of “Stitch Fetish 2” and excitement of prepping for “Stitch Fetish 3!”
- I gave my first artist’s talk, at Craft in America.
- Got back to volunteer teaching embroidery to teen girls and lined up classes for the first few months of 2015!
And here’s what I’m working on as we enter this wonderful new year, a life sized portrait of Laverne Cox as Wonder Woman.
When I posted yesterday about Art Walk – which was super fun – and the notice on the Downtown LA Art Walk site, I didn’t even notice they had built a little page just about me!! That’s so nice of them. It’s a little bio and some work. Check it out if you’re so inclined.
Here’s a shot of my big piece in process, for Gallery1988’s 10th anniversary show (so excited for this one) almost 50 hours in.